Running in the morning is the best way to start the day. The sun is shining and the hustle and bustle of the day has started. It is so nice to get out and get it over with......if you can get your tired self up out of the bed and out the door. So the other day, I decided to go out first thing and do it. I'm realizing that even though I was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant, I am certainly not there now. I feel like I did when I started this crazy journey called running in 2006. I'd run with Jacque and want to just walk, but she'd say, "Just make it to that fire hydrant," or "Don't walk, let's just run a bit slower." We'd go run as a group at the dome, around and around we'd go--Amy, Jacque, Carrie sometimes, and we'd get Dana out there a couple times too--training for our first 10k. Six miles, a distance I never thought I'd complete. But here I am, without all my girls. Running in a new city by myself. When I wanted to walk, I did. When I tried to push myself to keep up the pace, I gave up. Darn. Gonna have to dig deeper. The beginning is so hard. Gotta get the muscles used to the rhythm of running. Gotta get the lungs to breathe hard and deep again. Gotta push myself to get stronger. I ran on the side of a busy road, at least. Then I know people can see me and I don't want to look like too much of a loser. I finished the three miles, one way or another. Telling myself I need to give myself a little break. From where I was in June when I ran my best half-marathon (with hills even!) to now, it's like throwing Imani on your back and going for a run. It's a lot harder with 30 extra pounds on the bod. So just when I thought I would feel sorry for myself, I met a girl named Aubrey. She just had a baby too and wants a running partner to help her get out there and do it. We ran together this morning and those 3 miles flew by as we got to know each other and talked about where we've been and what we like to do. That's the thing about running. You can take it anywhere you go and get to know new people in the process.
What We Believe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our New House
Just like her Daddy
Isaac and his mom in Kenya last year
2 comments:
That's awesome! I need a running partner... :)
I hear ya sista! I need a partner too. Wow... a half marathon?? That's impressive!
Post a Comment